electrobel
you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer in a too old version, please respect the developers and update your browser or use one of those decent browser.
download Mozilla Firefox download Google Chrome download Apple Safari download Opera

Loading data, please wait...

This will delete you message, are you sure ?
Sticky thread : On / Off
Lock thread : On / Off
This will delete this thread, are you sure ?

Forum : E-Bel News : New Feature : Expiration

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
Last track: Intro to Nothing
As announced on the wall, you will not like this new feature :)

every 30 days, you will receive an electrobel email with a random word.

you have 5days to enter the word on ebel.
if you don't enter the word after 5days, you will only have access to one page on ebel (the one to help you get your emails sorted). until you type the code :)

This feature is an effort to make sure users receive electrobel emails, and that they are not sent to spam folders.

i repeat, nothing will happen to your account if you don't put the code on time, it will just nag you about it :)

to spice things up, the code is a random word taken from the wall .. so don't be alarmed if you receive a word such as "jamesfriet" :)

to help you setup your account correctly, i am writing a page where you will find some configuration tips.
it's all here.

This feature might sound intrusive, but i predict that in the coming months/years other websites will add it too. (yep, you've seen it first on ebel).

right now the delay is set to 30 days ... it might change.

Summary
Quote:
* Every 30 days you get a new code
* You have 5 days to type it, after that you HAVE to type the code to access the site
* You can easily generate a new code
* You can easily have the email sent again
* I don't want to do this, but now you are sure people receive emails
* email config help

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
and to compensate that, i'm going to work on a new design for the emails ...
because they do look old :)
and some people have trouble with the white font.

Distreality [be]
Profile Picture
Last track:
is this a permanent thing or temporary...

It sounds kinda odd to me, no problem at all, but odd...

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
Quote:
Originally posted by : Distreality

is this a permanent thing or temporary...

It sounds kinda odd to me, no problem at all, but odd...

it's about as odd as an email validation when you register on a forum :)

it was odd at first, now it's 'normal' ..

this is odd now, but in a year when everyone else will do it, ...

why have us validate every 30 days? If it works once, you can assume that it will work at least for another half year no?

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
Quote:
Originally posted by : Kyran

why have us validate every 30 days? If it works once, you can assume that it will work at least for another half year no?

because for some reasons, some people use some "temporary emails", and some other change email address every week .. jumping from google to yahoo, and back.

like i said, 30days is just a first test, it'll probably get extended.
anyway, you've all received random numbers ranging from 5 to 30, so some are already revalidating today :)

i'm tired of sending a pm to someone, to have that person answer a week later, saying he didn't login to ebel.
and when i ask them if they got the email alerting of a new pm, they answer "what email ?"

filmjolk [be]
Profile Picture
Last track: Elektronik Baltikum Nostalgia
haha i'm sure lots of people will receive words like "cropcircle"

or "TEETTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN" hahaha :D :D :D

TheThreatOfDawn [be]
Profile Picture
Last track: Adding Up To Zero
sorry ze, but WHERE exactly do we have to type the word????

I had to re-logon this morning, but it went fine with my normal pasword....

i don't get it i'm afraid... (as usual)

is there a link to the page where we have to enter the word? (maybe ad it to the mail then)

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
Quote:
Originally posted by : TheThreatOfDawn

sorry ze, but WHERE exactly do we have to type the word????

I had to re-logon this morning, but it went fine with my normal pasword....

i don't get it i'm afraid... (as usual)

is there a link to the page where we have to enter the word? (maybe ad it to the mail then)

your not getting yours for another 6days :)

TheThreatOfDawn [be]
Profile Picture
Last track: Adding Up To Zero
ahjaneen, wacht!! I remember now!! I once made a profile with an other name, as "arnaud", but i found that to be a lame name. 8o As i couldn't find where i had to change my name i made an other acount (TheThreatOfDawn), but I used the same email-adress. So now I got a mail for the arnaud-account I long forgot!!

I did in fact loge on as arnaud later to delete the acount, but i couldn't find the delete buton!!! So Zark you can delete that arnaud-acount actually!

i have a bad habit to complicate things, I know! sorry for that.

Jemenfish [be]
Profile Picture
Last track:
Why is this necessary? The only e-mail I receive is 'you have a new private message' in my mailbox and frankly, since it pops up wherever I visit the site, I could even do without those? To be honest I've been thinking to set things like electrobel, like many mailinglists, on a 'block' function so all mails get automatically deleted, since it is only PM stuff I would manually all delete. I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

If people want to switch e-mails then that's their right isn't it? If I could, and people would not be so used to the je m'en fish hotmail adress, I'd change to something regular like brutele in a jiffy.

And to take a random word out off the wall is also not the best of ideas; A bit too much acid, XTC, tetten, cropcircles, penis etc. talk in there. I'm guessing a lot of users will not take your e-mail too seirously if they get a 'This is an electrobel security mail! Please visit the website and type in 'Penis'!' kind of mails...

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
like i said, this might get de-activated for regular users.

this is for users that don't login everyday and have hotmail or other mail hosting that blocks ebel emails.
this is to increase user responsiveness to ebel actions.

it's their right to switch mail address ... but they shouldn't forget to update it on the website.

Jemenfish [be]
Profile Picture
Last track:
Might be tricky to judge who's 'regular' but, aye :)

Still disagree completely with choosing a word from the wall; Pick one from the news section or you have control over; Hell, if people find a pattern in when those emails get sent out they may even find some fun in spamming the wall with certain words (cropcircles comes to mind ;))

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
actually the list of word has already been taken.

it's 32.000 words to choose from

some words and patterns have already been taken out, and each word is used only once.

hence the probability is really low to guess the word :)

basically 1 / 32.000

better play the lottery.

regular users ? that will be determined with the trust level

trust level ? aaah, you'll see :)

S-cape [be]
Profile Picture
Last track: cute.exe
trust level...O_o

I was thinking i finish the electrobel videogame by winning the dark contest, now i see there is a full fresh new quest coming...dont you fear some competitive spirit ?

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
trust level is just a number calculated on different factors.

basically it'll allow songs to be automatically authorized for some users, etc...

it's internal, and it's just a way of determining regular users who know how the site works, to new members who will need more help.

so it's just a way of adding help to the site, but not forcing 'good' users to have to go thru it.

S-cape [be]
Profile Picture
Last track: cute.exe
So its a great idea ! keep it secret and hidden...
bravo again masta zariku !

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
the email certification, it's also because moderators will soon get a "daily report" of songs to moderate :)

(well, if there are any)

so before starting to send out reports....

RedVade [be]
Profile Picture
Last track: Compilation 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by : ZARk

the email certification, it's also because moderators will soon get a "daily report" of songs to moderate :)

(well, if there are any)

so before starting to send out reports....

thats nice.. Np for me with the main idea... go zark !! ^^

ZARk [be]
Profile Picture
what email clients do you use ?

http://www.electrobel.be/w/expiration_help

i've started writing some help about that ...

can you list me your emails clients ? and if possible make some instructions for them ? :)